SAN FRANCISCO - For the sixth consecutive year, FORTUNE magazine ranked PG&E Corporation (NYSE: PCG) among its 50 Best Companies for providing opportunities
to minority employees.
In its June 28, 2004 issue, FORTUNE ranked PG&E Corporation no. 11 overall on its "50 Best Companies for Minorities" list,
a leap of 12 places over the company's 23rd place finish
last year. FORTUNE also recognized PG&E Corporation among the top 10 in several individual categories, including minority
board membership and overall percentage of Hispanics
in the workforce.
"We have a long-standing
commitment to workforce diversity," said Russ Jackson,
Vice President of Human Resources for PG&E Corporation. "We understand that a workforce rich in diversity helps us to
better serve the 14 million customers in our increasingly
Thirty-five percent of
PG&E Corporation's 20,600 employees are minority women and men, and 23 percent of
the company's management ranks are composed of minorities.
and its utility subsidiary, Pacific Gas and Electric
Company, have been consistently recognized nationally
for their approach to workforce diversity from numerous
publications and organizations, including:
- U.S. Secretary of
Labor's Secretary's 2000 Opportunity Award.
- Hispanic Magazine - "Corporate 100" for 2000-2004.
- Hispanic Association on Corporate Responsibility (HACR) gave PG&E its "AAA" top rating in 2002 and 2003. PG&E was one of only 24 companies in the U.S. to receive this rating in 2003.
- LATINA Style Magazine - Top 50 Award for providing opportunities to Latinas for 2002 and 2003.
- The Human Rights Campaign gave PG&E
its top rating of "100" on its Corporate Equality
Index for 2002 and 2003. The Index measures how
the largest U.S. companies treat their gay, lesbian, bisexual,
and transgender employees and consumers.
- Professional Business Women of California's Pacesetter
Award for 2003 and 2004 in recognition of PG&E's
efforts to support the advancement of women in
For more information, please contact PG&E
Corporation at (800) PGE-NEWS or the Pacific
Gas and Electric Company News Department at (415)